Learning to Be Happy Being AloneJune 20, 2022
The one person you can always count on is yourself. Being alone does not have to be a bad thing. Investing in yourself, taking time to love, and finding out who you are as a person are steps in the right direction to enjoying your own company. If you start to feel lonely, try something you would not normally do around others like dance your heart out, eat in bed, or even take a weird selfie. You are not going to judge yourself, right? Read on to learn how Laurie Grengs Counseling can help you learn to be happy being alone.
We often focus too much on how we want to be loved. We never take the time to focus on our wants or needs. Sometimes, we are so busy worrying about how others see, feel, and perceive us that we push our own feelings to the back burner. Here are a few ways to date yourself in 2022:
- Treat yourself to a date like you would a significant other.
- Take a night off with a glass of wine and a nice movie.
- Stay at an Airbnb for a weekend getaway.
- Make yourself a home cooked meal.
- Book yourself that massage.
- Write yourself that love letter.
Be Creatively You
Spending time in tranquility, peace, and privacy helps to bring out your creativity. If you take the time to slow down and think, your creativity will flow like a sailboat on the water, nice and smooth. Try to think about some of your favorite activities and do them while you are alone.
- Learn a new talent
- Write music
- Make a vision board
You may be thinking “How in the world does mediation help loneliness?” Mindfulness meditation is a practice that teaches us how to slow down and let go of negative thoughts and energy. It helps us to keep both our minds and bodies calm under stressful circumstance. There are 7 pillars of mindfulness mediation that can help us with our loneliness and help achieve balance in life. Once we reach those pillars, we can be truly okay with being alone.
- Non-Judging – Stop seeing things as good or bad.
- Patience – There is no need to rush, live in the moment of what is and not what will become.
- Beginner’s Mind – Even though it is easy to lose yourself take a step back and realize life is always changing. No moments are ever the same.
- Trust – To help find peace trust in yourself and your values.
- Non-Striving – Realize that you are enough. Do not strive to be someone different or better than anyone.
- Acceptance – This belief is that you accept the way that things are.
- Letting go – Free yourself of worrying and focus on what is right in front of you. Let go of the past and do not worry about what the future holds.
Be One with Nature
If you feel sad, anxious, or lonely, summer is the best time to get out to hike, explore, and be one with nature. Always remember just how beautiful this earth is. Listen to the babbling brooks and smell the fresh cut grass. Nature helps you stress less, stay calm, focus, and be creative, just like being alone.
Put that Phone DOWN
You can take a break from that little device in your hand. It is ok to put it down! Checking social media every 30 minutes might be a big factor in what is making you feel stressed, anxious, or left out. Remember that a photo, video, or reel never tells the full story. Calling, texting, and video chatting do not help either. Turn your phone off and tuck it away for an hour or two and do one of the activities we mentioned above, and we guarantee you will feel a whole lot better mentally, physically, and emotionally.
If all of this is too overwhelming for you, never be afraid to ask someone for help. Laurie Grengs Counseling is here to help you find your inner strength to live a better-quality life. Laurie Grengs can address everything from panic attacks to Indecisiveness. Contact Laurie today and schedule a therapy session.