Growing up, young children have dreams of getting married and starting a family. For most, one of the biggest lifelong goals is to find a partner in life that you not only fall in love with, but are compatible with for the rest of your life. Marriage is a very sacred commitment that requires constant patience. If you and your spouse have hit a few rough stretches and you need help getting things back on the right path, The International Center for the Attainment of Love and Joy is exactly what you need. Our licensed psychologist, Laurie Grengs, and dedicated staff take pride in providing marriage counseling services to the entire Andover, MN community. Let our marriage therapists partner with you to open up new ways to communicate with your spouse through our marriage friendly approach.
Our 7 Step Tools for a Healthy Marriage
- Learn – Use your marriage and everyday interactions to learn more about yourself as well as your spouse. Interact with your partner in a deep manner so that you can connect in a more intense way. Choose who you take criticism and recommendations from wisely.
- More Direct Communication – Talk directly to your spouse using “I” more frequently when expressing your feelings.
- Order of Success – A successful marriage is built in the following order: God, Marriage, Business.
- Listen with Open Ears – When your spouse expresses his or her feelings, focus solely on what is being discussed. Tune out the outside world and give your spouse your full attention.
- Have an Outlet – Whether your outlet is music, sports, working out, reading, or going shopping, make sure you have an activity that you can engage in when you need to take a break. This can be a healthy option so that you can let loose any anxious or angry feelings instead of bringing negative thoughts into your home.
- Share Your Calendar – Keeping your spouse in the loop on your daily activities helps them feel wanted. If your schedule changes, send them a quick message so that they are aware.
- Put yourself in Spouse’s Shoes – Before you speak or make any irrational decisions, put yourself if your spouse’s shoes. Being married is having two individuals become one, so treat their feelings kindly.
If you live in Andover, MN and are searching for a therapeutic environment that offers couples counseling, look no further than The International Center for the Attainment of Love and Joy. Give us a call today at (763) 572-2326 to set up an appointment.